mapping network path to drive letter in guest

May 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I"m having trouble understanding the sample snippet that you included in a previous thread: 

vm.ListDirectoryInGuest() fails using Network Drive Paths

I currently have a shared folder (via VMware workstation v6.x) available from within the guest vm, with a path of "\\.host\shared folders\goober".

In VMware workstation 7.x the path of the available network resource has changed.  I'd rather use a drive letter and avoid the network path business.

I've noticed that there's a check-box in the GUI dialog of VMware workstation (could be there in other flavors of VMware) for when you add a shared folder, you can elect to have it automatically map to a drive letter in the guest as well.  I don't see a option in VMWareTasks that equates directly to this checkbox, unless it the mappednetworkdrive business...   If so, I sure could use more documentation on the feature and its use.

Thanks again!

Coordinator
May 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I think I understand what you're trying to do. You're simply listing directories on the guest that are mapping to a path on the host. That has changed from \\.host to something else in 7.x. I guess you can complain to VMWare :) You can probably map the drive to a letter by executing a "net use X: <path>" on the guest - but then you need to know the path again.