Should the Clone() method return the cloned VM reference?

Developer
Dec 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Hi dblock,

I am an user of VMwareTasks and really like the project =)

The Clone method in the VMWareVirtualMachine class does not have a return value, but the Vix interface actually return a reference of the cloned VM.

I think it would be very helpful if the Clone method calls job.Wait<T> instead of job.Wait, and then return a VMWareVirtualMachine instance. Although it will change the interface, because you just add the return value, it shouldn't break the code of any existing user :)

Btw: Have you got any plan to support vSphere SDK as well?

Many thanks,

yoroto

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Makes total sense. I created a workitem. Would love a patch!

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:21 PM

You mean the management SDK? The thing that creates VMs, etc? I've honestly never used it, but in theory I don't know whether it makes sense to wrap it up in something that's already a remote API that doesn't require any client-side software and talks SOAP (does it?). But maybe I am wrong :)

Developer
Dec 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM
dblock wrote:

You mean the management SDK? The thing that creates VMs, etc? I've honestly never used it, but in theory I don't know whether it makes sense to wrap it up in something that's already a remote API that doesn't require any client-side software and talks SOAP (does it?). But maybe I am wrong :)

Thanks mate, you are amazing!

It's this stuff: http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/

Basically, you can use it manage ESX\ESXi 4.1+, vCenter, LabManager.... Also it supports much more options than Vix for vSphere products.