VIX v1.10 support

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Wanted to know if VMWareTasks will support VIX v1.10 and or if its that difficult to do the recompile using the v1.10?

I also wanted to know can an older version say v1.4 of vmware tasks work with the latest vsphere v4.1 or do you actually need to latest vix dlls for this?

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 7:30 AM

VMWareTasks 1.4 requires VixCOM 1.6.2 or newer and should work with 1.10. I haven't tried yet, but it's on the todo list for 1.5 (someone needs to read the what's new, add the new APIs, if any, run all tests and fix bugs, if any).

VMWareTasks 1.2 will work with older versions of VixCOM.

You should check VixCOM docs for what VixCOM you need for which version of VSphere. Generally the latest works against all the latest and older VixCOM libraries don't work against the newest servers. I'm using VMWareTasks 1.4 - VixCOM 1.8.0 and VSphere 4.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Actually last night I uninstalled the previous vix sdk and installed the newer vix v1.10 and it works, atleast for the features we are using.

Question about the build process.

1) why do the projects no simply use the build in vs.net build solution? why the need for msbuild?

2) we downloaded the zip with the source, installed ,msbuild and still got errors. Does the build process actually need access to the svn archive? Is it grabbing items out of svn for the build or something.

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM
beckhamk wrote:

Question about the build process.

1) why do the projects no simply use the build in vs.net build solution? why the need for msbuild?

2) we downloaded the zip with the source, installed ,msbuild and still got errors. Does the build process actually need access to the svn archive? Is it grabbing items out of svn for the build or something.

1.  I like it. I do more with MSBuild than in VS alone, specifically packaging, running tests, etc.
  2. While you can, in theory, build from the packaged source, it's not designed for anything else than a reference. In the 1.5 release I added a page to the CHM documentation on how to contribute, and how to setup a build environment. You should get the source from SVN so you can make patches.