VmWare Server + Open Console

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Hello!

Is it possible from VIX API library to open the console of a guest operation system?

After poweron the machine want to see the window.

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I don't think so. Try the VixCOM forum.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM

This question is because of that problem of Interactive Services.

If I powerOff my machine, when I try to logon using VIX API I get the message that the guest must be logged interactively. This means that I always have to open the VMWares and do login so I can just execute Notepad.Exe. If I have 50 vms than we get my point.

Is there any workaround for this problem.

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I think you just need to pass VixCOM.Constants.VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT to LoginInGuest. Read this doc.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM

That works only when I open the console. Thats why I did the first question if it was possible to open the console.

If I open the console do a first login and fo vix.logininguest with that parameter works fine, my problem is when I have tasks that will need to close the virtual machine like a reversesnapshot. After the machine is poweroff the vix.logininguest says that the user must be logged interactively in guest, meaning that the window must be opened.

Im my opinion this is a bottleneck with no workaround.

Coordinator
Mar 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Logged in "interactively" just means logged in with that parameter. It has nothing to do with whether you can see the window or not. But these things behave very differently between Workstation and ESX for example. I think you should carry this thread with a bit more detail to the VixCOM forum, VMWareTasks is just a wrapper, but those people understand what happens underneath. Sorry I can't help more than this.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Hello!

I undestand your point, and I follow your suggestion (go to forum) and finally foun some one that had the same problem. To overcome this situation is needed to do AutoLogon on the virtual machine and then do LogIn without VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT, then wait for a process called VMwareUser.Exe do Logout and Login with option VIX_LOGIN_IN_GUEST_REQUIRE_INTERACTIVE_ENVIRONMENT.

Developer
Feb 16, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I've created a work item here:

http://vmwaretasks.codeplex.com/workitem/8352

I've also uploaded patch #8386 for this issue.